On this page:
What is Cloud Licensing?
Cloud Licensing (CL) is a form of Software Licensing (SL). Traditionally the SL would either reside on the local computer or on a network server. CL provides exactly the same functionality but the license comes from a server that resides on the internet.
The advantages of CL vs. standard SL are:
- You can not physically lose the license. It's very possible to do with older USB keys that are also an option to license n4ce.
- You can not destroy the license by reinstalling Windows or if the hard disk were to fail.
- The end user(s) can monitor exactly who is using a given license. In the situation where a PC has been left on hogging a license, and no one is able to get to it to close n4ce. Call AIC offices, and AIC can close the session to free up the license for someone else to use.
- You do need a permanent internet connection for the CL to work. But if ahead of time you know you are going to a site with bad or no internet. Then CLs can be detached onto a physical PC for a given period of time. After which the license will automatically self-destruct and return back to the cloud server.
Please note that Cloud Licensing needs access to our server at the IP address 220.127.116.11 via ports 1947 and 8443 for SSL. If your company has a firewall then access rules may be needed to allow the Cloud Licensing to work.
How do I install a Cloud License onto a PC?
Upon payment, AIC will send via email a special license string similar to that below. If the code is for a single license, the license string can still be added to multiple computers that need to run n4ce. It's just that once the license is in use on one PC, n4ce can not be used on any of the others until it's closed on the PC running n4ce. Then the license will be available again until it's claimed.
This license string has to be applied to the local PC in one of two ways:
1. Via the Admin Control Center
- Go to the address http://localhost:1947/_int_/config.html in any browser on the local PC
- Click on Access to Remote License Managers
- Tick both checkboxes and paste the license string you have been sent into the Remote License Search Parameters box, and press Submit,
- Click on the Sentinel keys item in the top left to return to the list of licenses available. After about a minute a new item should be added called n4ce Cloud License Server.
- Close the internet browser and open the n4ce License Manager. This should be a shortcut added to the desktop when n4ce was installed. From the Licenses tab find the Cloud license. It will appear as a Network license with a (C) after the seat count. Double-click this license and a message box will appear saying that the license details are set and they will take effect the next time n4ce is started. As additional confirmation, the license will be coloured as below.
2. Via the n4ce License Manager (Requires Administrator Privileges).
- Right-click the n4ce License Manager shortcut on the Windows desktop and choose "Run As Administrator". Enter the Admin password if prompted. Click Yes when prompted to allow it to make changes to the PC.
- Click on the Cloud Licenses tab.
- Paste the license string into the code field provided, and click on the "Install Cloud Key" button.
- A message box will appear prompting you to check the properties of the new license. These include the name of the intended end user and the version of n4ce to run. If any of these are incorrect press Cancel and contact AIC for support. Assuming the details are correct press Yes.
- A final message box will appear confirming that the License was added successfully.
- The tab will change to the Licenses view, please note that it can take up to 20 seconds for the new license to be visible.
- Please close and restart the n4ce License Manager, but not as an Administrator or the License will be assigned to the wrong user.
- Locate the new Cloud license under the Licenses tab. It will appear as a Network license with a (C) after the seat count. Double-click this license and a message box will appear saying that the license details are set and they will take effect the next time n4ce is started. As additional confirmation, the license will be coloured as below.
How to switch n4ce over to the Software License Mode.
Assuming n4ce was previously set to using a USB dongle to get its license, then a change needs to be made to switch n4ce into its Software Licensing Mode.
- Right-click the n4ce License Manager and choose "Run As Administrator"
- Click the "n4ce UI Mode" tab.
- Click the last button at the base of the page that says "Software Licensing". After a brief pause, a message box should pop up saying "n4ce Version SUCCESSFULLY changed to Software Licensing".
- Assuming the correct Software License is selected under the Licenses tab. i.e. it's highlighted and has a (c) after its Network count. Press Close. If not, first double-click the Cloud License so that n4ce knows which software license to use.
How to tell if a Cloud license or license(s) are in use.
- Open the n4ce License Manager and go to the Cloud Licenses tab.
- Select the Cloud License to check from the middle section. An example is shown below. Any users that are using the license will be listed in the bottom section under "Active License Sessions". To update the list to see any recent changes reflected, click the license in the middle section again.
How to release a License that has not disconnected.
- Click this Link... Or...
- Open the n4ce License Manager and click on the Licenses Tab.
- Click the button in the bottom right of this tab labelled "Show Running Sessions"
- From the webpage that opens, click disconnect for the license you need to release.